More potential danger lurks in the laundry room than sock-eating detergent sharks. As innocent as the dryer looks, it has been the catalyst of more fires in homes, nursing homes, motels and hotels. Yet, these catastrophes are so easily preventable! Here are the causes – and cures – for laundry room fires:
dryer vents clogged with accumulated lint
unattended use of the dryer
dirty, clogged vents to the outside
an unclean motor area
attempting to dry household items containing chemicals
keep your dryer vent clean by cleaning the filter screen after each load. The dryer can easily overheat and precipitate a fire when lint is allowed to accumulate!
either stay home while drying laundry or turn off the machine before leaving. Clean the plastic hose pipe that vents to the outside at least twice a year. Use the vacuum cleaner to suck out accumulated dust and lint.
vacuum the motor area if you can reach it (this may involve removing a panel). The dust and lint in the vent pipe can actually ignite if allowed to become hot enough.
never attempt to dry household cleaning items such as mop heads. They may contain chemicals from household cleaners that can instantly ignite, once subjected to the dryer’s heat.